[hobbit] GSM modem with Hobbit on RedHat

Johann Eggers Johann.Eggers at teleatlas.com
Mon Nov 10 10:24:34 CET 2008

Hi,

we are on SuSE but I think that doesn't matter...

We have a Siemenc TC63 attached to every Hobbit server and are using
Kannel as the SMS-Gateway software.

A small, simple script is used to feed hobbit alerts to the SMS-Gateway
by using the SCRIPT keyword in hobbit-alerts.cfg to trigger the
execution.

Sometimes (1 or 2 times a year) the GSM-modem gets stuck; but a simple
repower/reinitialization put it back operational.

In my opinion with using a direct attached GSM-modem gives you fewer
dependencies on the network layer. How will you be alarmed if your core
network infrastructure goes down when you are dependent on the network
to send out critical alerts?

Regards
-Johann