[hobbit] Goodbye "Hobbit", hello "Xymon"

Samuel Cai Samuel.Cai at ehealth-china.com
Mon Nov 10 03:06:00 CET 2008

Our VP is Simon, interesting.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik "Størner [mailto:henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 12:20 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Goodbye "Hobbit", hello "Xymon"

In <200811081334.13063.stef.coene at docum.org> Stef Coene <stef.coene at docum.org> writes:

>On Saturday 08 November 2008, Henrik St=F8rner wrote:
>>
>> As of today, the official name is "Xymon" (pronounced just
>> like "Simon").
>
>It sounds nice.

I'm glad you like it.

>Why have you choosen for Xymon ?

It's really just a name that popped into my head one
morning, and it sounded "right".

It also fits with the criteria I listed back in August
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/08/msg00193.html :
No clashes with Tolkien or existing book/movie characters;
it isn't trademarked; it's short and easily pronouncable;
and the relevant domains were all (mostly) available.
(xymon.net wasn't, but I can live with that).

That it ends with "mon" is also a plus, that seems
reasonable for "mon"itoring software.

And I can just hear everyone shout "what does Xymon
say?" when there's an outage. Sorry 'bout that, if you
happen to have a Simon on your admin team :-)

Finally, the ultimate sys-admin - the BOFH ! - was created
by a Simon: http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/

(Just joking about that last one).

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk