[hobbit] Random hobbit newbie questions

Johan Björklund the at whero.net
Tue May 27 10:09:19 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 18:49 CEST,
	 "Linder, Doug (SABIC Innovative Plastics, consultant)" <Doug.Linder at sabic-ip.com> wrote:
> Is there a difference between MEMSWAP and SWAP?  If not, why is it
> listed twice in the defaults?  If so, what is the difference?

As far as I have read the documentation you can use either keyword. SWAP
is just three letters shorter than MEMSWAP (according to documentation
you can use either MEMPHYS, PHYS, MEMACT, ACT, MEMSWAP and SWAP).

> Unfortunately I can't find any details about what the default names of
> the "classes named by the operating system" are, so I don't know which
> strings to put after "CLASS=" in my hobbit-clients.cfg file.  Is there a
> list somewhere?

CLASS is up to you to define. You could use it to classify and group
togehter simlar systems in i.e. hobbit-clients.cfg (the most practical
place to use this flag).

On the clients define CLASS=webfront and in your hobbit-clients.cfg
write this:

CLASS=webfront
	PROC java
	PROC httpd 10

You could achive the same thing using regexp, like:

HOST=%web(1-9).mydomain.com
	PROC java
	PROC httpd 10

Which soultion you use depends more on what you feels are the most
practiacal solution.

> 3) There are a couple columns in the default configuration that I don't
> want, like "files".  On the page in question, the status icon for every
> system is "clear" (white).  I want to use the "drop" option to the bb
> command to do this.  I issued this command for every host on the page in
> question:

You've got many suggestions already, but I have one more solution:
update your clientdata channel, this is what my channel looks like:

[clientdata]
        ENVFILE /home/hobbitd/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        NEEDS hobbitd
        CMD hobbitd_channel --channel=client --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/clientdata.log hobbitd_client --no-clear-msgs --no-clear-files --no-clear-ports

This tells hobbitd_client to not generate CLEAR status if no test data
is defined for MSGS, FILES or PORTS.

All of the above implies that you use central configuration.

| Johan Björklund <the at whero.net> http://whero.net/         |