[hobbit] dr for hobbit

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:26:21 CEST 2008

Hi Ian,

I have contemplated this approach...

The two hobbit installations are about 15km's apart. Although I could
cluster between two servers over this distance, it is not my preference.

My biggest issue with a clustered solution is that there is one copy of the
data (albeit usually mirrored). If something goes wrong with the data (e.g.
a mistake.. rm bb-hosts...), it instantly happens to both sites. Recovery
then requires restoration via tape/snapshot etc. If it is via snapshot, then
I have to roll back to the last snapshot (which may be acceptable depending
on the technology being used).

I want my dr copy to be as close to production as possible but without any
shared infrastructure that may allow the poisoning of both services. A warm
standby seems to be a good approach and from my research, it seems quite
feasible.

Cheers

Phil

Tel: 0400 466 952