[hobbit] Difference between the actual memory and physical memory

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue May 6 19:24:14 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Thangappandi, Arun (Ge Money, consultant) wrote:
> Can any one let me know the difference between the actual memory and
> physical memory which is being monitored by hobbit?
It depends on the OS. But the basic is: physical is the memory in the box.
Actual is the memory in use by programs.

Total physical memory = program in physical memory + cache + free memory
Actual = program in memory + program in swap

Total physical memory will be 100% because the disk cache will consume all
available memory.

Stef