[hobbit] Hobbit to IPPhone Beta

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Mar 28 00:46:59 CET 2008

Josh Luthman wrote:
> * See if you can telnet from your bb server to port 80 of your phone
> (in this case 172.16.0.152 <http://172.16.0.152/>)
> -> telnet 172.16.0.152 <http://172.16.0.152> 80
> Does this look the same as yours?
Yep

> * Make sure that the apache user can execute the bb command (in this
> case /home/shire/server/bin/bb)
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 hobbuzer hobbituzer 216177 Nov 23 09:56 bb

More perms than needed, but that definitely should work (next version
won't need bb binary at all).
> * Make sure that the hobbit.cgi is accessible, and that its working
> properly (from your browser go to http://74.218.x.x/perl/hobbit.cgi
> and you should get some XML code back in your browser window)
> Here is probably my problem, all I get is a white page.
Sorry, I should have specified the full URL to try as
http://72.218.x.x/perl/hobbit.cgi?action=execute_push
That should give you some XML.  without that action parameter you will
indeed get a blank page.

> I have nothing in error_log but I get a (I believe it to be) normal
> access_log entry:
> 172.16.0.153 <http://172.16.0.153> - - [27/Mar/2008:18:21:25 -0400]
> "GET /perl/hobbit.cgi HTTP/1.1" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
> Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13 <http://1.8.1.13>) Gecko/20080311
> Firefox/2.0.0.13"
Yep, that's normal for hitting it from your browser.

> * do a tail -f of your apache access_log, and see if you get a hit
> from the IPPhone when you run hobbit.cgi, you should see something
> like this: 10.216.100.54 <http://10.216.100.54/> - -
> [23/Mar/2008:04:21:36 -0700] "GET /perl/hobbit.cgi?action=execute_push
> HTTP/1.1" 200 260 "-" "Allegro-Software-WebClient/3.12"
> -> /var/www/perl/hobbit.cgi && grep 172\.16\.0\.152 access_log
> ->
> Is empty =(
>
> From what I can understand is that the hobbit.cgi is not telling the
> phone to access the page.  Is this right?
Right, so there is either something in the script breaking, a CGI
issue,  or possibly you can connect to IPPhone, but some network acl
prevents the IPPhone from connecting to your cgi host. Once you do the
test above and get XML back or not, that will tell us where to look next.

You may want to make a helloworld.cgi that just has:
print "Hello World!\n";

and see if you can hit http://72.218.x.x/perl/helloworld.cgi and see the
message in your browser...this will tell us if your mod_perl is
configured properly.

-Charles