[hobbit] How hobbit server deal with DNS server failure when doing conn test ?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:53:06 CET 2008

found the manpage.

http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/manpages/man1/bbtest-net.1.html

but still not sure about ping test. will ping(conn) test will do the same like testing of telnet,http type of services.

--dns=[ip|only|standard]
Determines how bbtest-net finds the IP adresses of the hosts to test.
By default (the "standard"), bbtest-net does a DNS lookup of the hostname
to determine the IP address, unless the host has the "testip"
tag, or the DNS lookup fails.

With "--dns=only" bbtest-net will ONLY do the DNS lookup;
it it fails, then all services on that host will be
reported as being down.

With "--dns=ip" bbtest-net will never do a DNS lookup;
it will use the IP adresse specified in bb-hosts for
the tests. Thus, this setting is equivalent to having
the "testip" tag on all hosts. Note that http tests
will ignore this setting and still perform a DNS
lookup for the hostname given in the URL; see the
"bbtest-net tags for HTTP tests" section in
bb-hosts(5)

T.J. Yang