[hobbit] BBWIN - beyond the basics

Shea, Graeme A Shea.Graeme.A at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Mar 18 20:18:31 CET 2008

I monitor more windows services using BBWin or the bb BTF client,
specifically I do:

 Distributed File System access and replication

NT Backup file sizes and dates as well as checking the backup log and
event log for  backup errors.

I run dcdiags and netdiags every night and check for errors

I defrag every night and check for errors (Defrag is a good forwarner of
problems rather than there be any need to defrag every night).

DHCP is responding and still has free addresses to lease (DNS is done by
netdiags above).

Symantec AV

and interface errors on switches and ping times to them and anything
else you want to ping (like a printer on the far end of your LAN).

These are all done by VB scripts and the external facility of BB BTF or
BBWin.

There is a difference between how BBWin 0.9 and BB BTF client handle the
external files created by the scripts and not all these scripts have
been updated to work on BBWin. See
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1875682&forum_id=460874
for more info. I don't know if this has been fixed, I haven't found
mention in the release notes.

If you promise not to laugh at the coding you can download the scripts
for a short while from www.shea.com.au/downloads/BBScripts.zip. feel
free to post them on the shire.

As for the original examples you gave I monitor the Exchange, SQL and
Sharepoint services as well as their web site response. I haven't
expanded on these because as counter intuitive as it seems my Exchange
and SQL are non critical services and the chance of me not catching the
errors with such simple monitoring is fairly  slim. Your Windows admins
should be able to script something they will be happy with if you give
them the above scripts as examples.

Hope these help

Regards

Graeme