[hobbit] Using Hobbit to monitor a specific port for availability?

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Thu Mar 13 01:01:07 CET 2008

There are 2 ways you can go about this.

1. Edit bb-services and create a new test called "javaprog" or whatever
you want to call it. Creating a new port test is pretty easy and looking
at the examples in bb-services and/or the man page should get you there,
heck I will just tell you:

[javaprog]
port 8888

After you add that to bb-services, you would add "javaprog" to your
bb-hosts file for that host.  You would then get a column called
"javaprog" that showed it's status.

2. You can also define a local port test on the server that is running
the java program (assuming its one that you have a hobbit client on).
This will basically look at the ouput of netstat and alert if the port
is not in a LISTEN state.  For this read the "Ports" section of the
hobbit-clients.cfg file and man page.

-Charles