[hobbit] Today's Snapshot failed to compile on sparc solaris 9

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 6 07:32:17 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:07:55PM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> (hobbit)@hobbit:~/snapshot/common$ gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused
> -D_REENTRANT  -DSunOS -I. -I/export/home/hobbit/snapshot/include
> -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -o bbhostgrep bbhostgrep.o
> ../lib/libhobbit.a -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -lz -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl
> deflateBound                        ../lib/libhobbit.a(compression.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to bbhostgrep
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Does it also fail if you add

   ZLIBINCDIR = -I/usr/include
   HOBBITZLIB = -L/usr/lib -lz

to the top-level Makefile ?

If it does, could you try running this command;

    MAKE=make sh ./build/zlib.sh

and report the output? It should be

    Checking for zlib ...
    Found ZLIB include files in /usr/include
    Found ZLIB libraries in /usr/lib
    zlib version 1.1.3

I believe zlib is part of the standard Solaris install, so it would be
annoying if you didn't have it.