[hobbit] Hobbit compatible temperature monitor

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 18:03:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Eric Boyd <eric at iconla.com> wrote:

> I am looking to add temperature graphs to hobbit.
>
> What should I use to monitor and graph the temperature of our server room?
> None of our servers report any temperature readings in the client data.
> We have some APC battery backups that have environmental monitors built in,
> but I am willing to spend a little cash on a separate device if there is
> something proven to work with Hobbit.

I'm using OneWire DS18S20 sensors from Maxim-IC.com to watch room and
refrigerator temps in my wife's dairy at home.  Right now it's a bit of a
hack, with the sensors just soldered onto old phone cables, but it works
just fine.  The fridge seems to be maintaining about 25F while the room temp
gets up over 85F.

I'm using digitemp to read the sensors, which can be hooked up to either USB
or serial ports, though it's also possible to use owfs.  The readings are
fed to Hobbit via a custom script that generates NCV compatible data for
graphing.

The bare sensors are about $5, and the USB or serial port connector is
around $30.  You can use any old ethernet or phone cable.

Ralph Mitchell