[hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Thu Jul 31 18:56:37 CEST 2008

Why don't you rename it "Gandalf"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Stoerner [mailto:henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:30 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: [hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will
happen

Hi everyone,

some lawyers behind the movie company that produced the "Lord of the
Rings" trilogy have contacted me about using the name "Hobbit" for the
Hobbit monitor project.

Fortunately, it seems that these people are actually quite sensible.
They just want to make sure that there is no risk of anyone assuming
that the "Hobbit monitor" has anything to do with the books, movies,
merchandise etc. that they produce.

So they've suggested that beginning with the next release, "Hobbit
monitor" is renamed to either "Hobbi monitor" (without the 't'), or
"H.O.B.B.I.T. Monitor" . Or something else, but they want to know if I
pick something else.

The full correspondance can be seen at
http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbitdocs/legal/

My current preference is to use the "H.O.B.B.I.T." version; this is most
like the current name, and it would also fit with all of the current
URL's used for various Hobbit functions (e.g.
the "hobbitmon.sf.net" project page). I'm going to write the lawyers and
get a definite OK that I can use "hobbitmon" in URL's and such; I doubt
that I can get Sourceforge to accept a project named "h.o.b.b.i.t."
since that would probably cause havoc with the DNS entries ...

But I'd like to hear if there are other suggestions or opinions.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk