[hobbit] Graphs are missing data, but it's there!

Ward, Martin Martin.Ward at colt.net
Thu Jul 24 18:02:37 CEST 2008

>You know the data exists because you used the rrd dump tool to display
it?
Um, no, sorry I didn't explain myself very well. I know the data is
being passed back to the Hobbit server because it is displayed in the
web page (see example in original email below). The issue it that the
graph that is displayed at the bottom of the page is empty.

I know that data for the other identical servers is being passed for the
same reason, but on those pages the graphed data IS visible.

I have compared the page sources and they look identical, which is why I
think it's the data.

Looking at the data files I am getting somewhat confused (or am typing
commands wrong), please confirm my thoughts on this:

1. When numeric data is transferred from the Hobbit client to the server
it is stored in an rrd file thanks to the TEST2RRD config option, mine
looks like:
TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,postfixqueue=ncv,postfixdeliver
ies=ncv".
2. The RRD file in 1 takes its name from the test that the client
specifies when it transfers its data.
3. The directory path for where the data is stored is specified in the
hobbitd channel=data using the --rrddir= parameter (/opt/hobbit/data/rrd
for me).
4. The actual path of the RRD data file is the directory specified in 3,
plus the fully qualified host name (mc25.lon.dcn.colt.net) plus the RRD
filename specified in 2, giving me
"/opt/hobbit/data/rrd/mc25.lon.dcn.colt.net/postfixqueue.rrd".
5. When I run "rrdtool --dump" on this file I should get real data, and
it is from this data that ALL the graphs are generated, i.e. this file
can hold data for up to 576 days.

Now this is where things go wrong:

For both the machine that is failing and for any machine that is working
I get nothing when I run:
$ rrdtool --dump
/opt/hobbit/data/rrd/mc25.lon.dcn.colt.net/postfixqueue.rrd
or
$ rrdtool --dump /opt/hobbit/data/rrd/mc25.lon.dcn.colt.net/memory.rrd

yet I can view graphs for the memory usage on this machine going back
for as long as I have had this server up, so I now have no idea what
these RRD files are for.

The files are being updated regularly and the have a quantity of data in
the (18KB or so).

So, after all of this I am confused about how and where the data is
stored although I can say that the trends show that data was
successfully stored for about two months after the service was first
started, but then it stopped. Being that that was back in February I
have no idea what changes might have happened to the servers.

8-(

|\/|artin