[hobbit] graphing

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Jul 11 20:19:00 CEST 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008, Joshua Krause wrote:
> I have a question about doing some graphing with a custom script that I am
> putting together.  What I will have is a table similar to the if_load table
> with the cisco devices in devmon but in my table I am wanting to have a
> column with links to the graphs so that I can click on them and have them
> pull up the graphs instead of having them shown down at the bottom.  Can I
> have hobbit create the rrd files via my script but just not put anything
> into the hobbitgraph.cfg, so that no graphs show at the bottom of the page
> and then use the rrd files to show my graphs?
If you use the beta (I also have a patch for 4.2) you can use the trends
channel.  This allows you to send a message with bb to the hobbit server with
information about the rrd files you want to create/update.  I use this to
make rrd files without using the ncv module.
Next step is to change hobbitgraph so you can create a graph and include the
correct link in your bb status message.

From the hobbit source:

 * Instead of a dedicated Hobbit channel for this, I decided to use the
 * existing "data" message type. To use this, send a "data" message to
 * hobbit formatted like this:
 *
 *    data $MACHINE.trends
 *    [filename.rrd]
 *    DS-definition1 VALUE2
 *    DS-definition2 VALUE2
 *
 * E.g. to create/update a custom RRD file "weather.rrd" with two
 * GAUGE datasets "temp" and "wind", with current values "21" and
 * "8" respectively, send this message:
 *
 *    [weather.rrd]
 *    DS:temp:GAUGE:600:0:U 21