[hobbit] Monitor HP-UX network log

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 28 22:07:04 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:06:22PM -0500, Robert Herron wrote:
> HP-UX stores its network log in a binary file (/var/adm/nettl.LOG000) that
> you view with the netfmt command.  Before I start working on my own, does
> anyone have an EXT script to monitor it?  If so, could I have a copy?

Alternatively, you could modify the HP-UX client script to generate a
normal Hobbit "msgs" section with the text-output from the netfmt
command; then Hobbit can process it as if it were an ordinary text-based
logfile.

E.g. at the bottom of the hobbitclient-hp-ux.sh script running on your
clients, just before the "exit" command add this:

   echo "[msgs:/var/adm/nettl.LOG000]"
   netfmt ...whatever needs to go here to get the text-output ...

Then you can use a normal log-file entry on the Hobbit server to process
the log data.