[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Tim Rotunda tim.rotunda at twcable.com
Fri Jan 25 22:53:39 CET 2008

Thanks for the info.

I can think of a myriad of reasons why clients arenĀ¹t allowed on remote
nodes, but in the case that spawned hobcen, it was because the boss said no.

I wrote the hobcen script in early 06 and the p-threaded app came along in
mid 06.  I was a busy IT Manager back then so it was a get it done and move
on kinda thing.  I just checked and it is still in production at this time.

After 20 years, I gave up on politics so I could hold onto my technical
skills.  As it turns out, a 40 hour work week is pretty dang nice.  So I
thought I would drop the group a note and see what kind of interest there
is.  Nothing has been submitted as yet.

Cheers,

Tim

On 1/25/08 3:35 PM, "Charles Jones" <jonescr at cisco.com> wrote:

> Tim Rotunda wrote:
>>
>> I have not looked at the option you note, however, there are times where
>> deploying clients is not an option.  I suspect that is why bb-central was
>> born and why I developed hobcen.  Like I said, it started as a shell script,
>> morphed into a C application and then a POSIX-threaded C application.  This
>> was all based on shared ssh keys, but after coming from a stint in a DC with
>> 60,000+ nodes on 3 acres of raised floor, I learned very quickly how to use
>> ssh pw auth for batch communications that is fast.  :-)
>>
>> We all have issues to resolve and like UNIX, there are 10 different ways to
>> solve any one of them.
>>
> The pulldata option was added some time ago. You use the keyword in bb-hosts
> for the hosts you want to pull client data from instead of waiting for a push:
>
> ---man page snippet---
>        pulldata[=[IP][:port]]
>               This  option  is  recognized by the hobbitfetch(8) utility, and
> causes it to poll the host
>               for client data. The optional IP-address and port-number can be
> used  if  the  client-side
>               msgcache(8) daemon is listening on a non-standard IP-address or
> port-number.
>
> As noted it also requires activating the "msgcache" option in the clients
> clientlaunch.cfg.  Basically what happens is the client reports the
> client-data to "itself", a buffer of sorts, which the Hobbit client then comes
> along and grabs.
>
> You may find it useful except in the cases you mention where the installation
> of a client is not possible at all, although I'm not sure why you would be
> able to run all the commands that the normal client runs, but yet not able to
> run the normal client?
>
> This is the first I have heard of hobcen...It sounds like it could be useful
> for some folks until Henrik provides a better solution.  Have you submitted it
> to TheShire?
>
> -Charles

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.