[hobbit] Need info: National holidays - Australia

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Fri Jan 4 01:07:34 CET 2008

Hi Henrik

As the saying goes, "There's always one, isn't there?"

In Australia the holidays are all different, depending on what state you
are in, and differ from year to year, depending on expedience.
For instance all states celebrate the queen's birthday (Queen Elizabeth
of Great Britain, that is), but on different days.
For instance, Northern Territory it was  on the 11 Jun last year, 9 Jun
this year, and 8 Jun next year.
In Western Australia, the same holiday was celebrated on 1 Oct last
year, 29 Sep this year, and 28 Sep next year.
It gets very ugly, but I think it's done to give us long weekends during
the best weather periods.

The official holiday listings for the 7 states can be found here

Northern Territory
http://www.ocpe.nt.gov.au/legislation/holidays

Western Australia
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/lr/LabourRelations/Content/Wages%20and%20Cond
itions/Public%20Holidays/Public_Holidays.html

New South Wales
http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/holidays/index.html

Queensland
http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/holidayslist/index.html

South Australia
http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2483

Tasmania
http://www.wst.tas.gov.au/employment_info/public_holidays

Victoria
http://www.vic.gov.au/VictoriaOnline?action=content&id=4383&image_id=371
&pageTitle=Victorian+Public+Holiday+Dates&track=Government+Entry+Point+f
or+Victorians&nav=suppnav

Good luck trying to figure out that mess.

Cheers
   Vernon