Hobbit downtime stats

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Thu Jan 3 02:52:07 CET 2008

Hi all

First off, a great New Year to you all, and a special thank-you to
Henrik for his fantastic work thought the year.
I would also extend that thank-you to every single person who
contributed in a meaningful way to this list.

Now, back to business.

Hobbit has a beautiful facility to calculate uptime stats.
But PHBs, being what they are, want more.
Is there a way to flag an outage as "scheduled" or similar, and not
include it in the uptime stats calculation?

Example
We had to reboot a system for patching, but it was scheduled with the
business, and a suitable maintenance window was agreed.
All apps were downed, and the system rebooted.
This is not classified as an outage.

Later in the month there was an electrical fault on the UPS, and a
server went down.
This is a real outage and needs to be included in downtime stats.

How do we do this?
Do we need to disable monitoring before we begin maintenance, or is
there a way to flag the outage retrospecively?
It would be good to be able to flag the scheduled outage as "not a real
outage" after the fact, because during the outage, we use Hobbit to keep
tabs on what goes down and comes up and when.

Regards
     Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.