[hobbit] ipmi digestion script w/ graph?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Feb 29 13:33:39 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008 06:31:46 Benjamin P. August wrote:
> Call me crazy (and no offense to the maintainer of Devmon), but I
> thought it'd be easier to get a value straight from the ESM via IPMI
> on the client and pass it to the server through the usual Hobbit
> channels rather than deal with OMSA, SNMP (which I find to be a
> misnomer), and Devmon.

Well, you'll may have problems with different numbers of temperature probes on
different models etc. so if you use NCV, and push multiple values into one
rrd, you will need multiple, differing graph definitions, and have have
problems selecting the right graph definition.

The devmon collector (either the c module for Hobbit, or the perl one to run
as an extra script with hobbitd_rrd) results in one rrd file per probe,
making this much simpler.

(I don't have many Dells, most are 1750s, but I see a lot of problems with the
HP ProLiants, the DL380s have 5 probes, the DL580s have 7).

> Not to mention the firewall rules I'd have to
> add for SNMP, which adds a couple layers of bureaucracy to the whole
> thing.

How is that different to IPMI (which is also UDP).

> There was a BB script on deadcat, but it doesn't do what I want, so
> I'm writing an ext script now, and will probably share the files (such
> as they are) with y'all when they're done.

Good luck with the graphs.

Regards,
Buchan