[hobbit] OSX 10.5 and nireport

Isaac Vetter ivetter at math.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 8 20:06:50 CET 2008

Hi Guys;

No offense to Tim for his suggestion on making Hobbit work with Leopard.

I think that a superior method of testing for the presence of a user
and finding that user's home directory is this:

80c80
< 		USERDATA="`nireport / /users name home | grep $BBUSER`"
---
> 		USERDATA="`dscl . -list /Users  | grep $BBUSER`"
83c83
< 			echo "Found NetInfo entry for user: $USERDATA"
---
> 			echo "Found Directory entry for user: $USERDATA"
85c85
< 			echo "FAILURE: The user $BBUSER does not exist. Create user and try again."
---
> 			echo "FAILURE: The user $BBUSER does not exist locally. Create user and try again."
89c89
< 		HOMEDIR="`echo $USERDATA | awk '{print $2}'`"
---
> 		HOMEDIR="`dscl . -read /Users/$BBUSER | grep HomeDirectory | awk '{print $2}'`"

The dscl command actually queries OSX's internal directory store
(OpenDirectory). The above code will only find local users, but I
think that this is probably a best practice for Hobbit. Additionally,
the above should work for 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard) and onwards.

Isaac Vetter

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/dscl.1.html