[hobbit] Client Data not showing up

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Feb 7 15:32:27 CET 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 16:06:12 Snyder, Howard wrote:
> I can't get any data from my client to the server.  I think I know the
> problem but I do have 1 question.  How is the data moved back and forth
> between the client and the server?  telnet? ftp?

The client connects the the host configured in BBDISP (or all the hosts
configured in BBDISPLAYS) on the port 1984, or if specified, the port in
BBPORT.

For example, the 'bb' tool does this.

So, not telnet or ftp.

However, if you want the server to collect the data from the client, by
setting the pulldata option in bb-hosts for this client, you need to run
the 'hobbitfetch' task on the server, and the 'msgcache' task on the client.

> The reason that I'm
> asking is, this is what I see when I run the command - bb {IP address}
> "pullclient":

Why do you think you should be running this command?

> 2008-02-07 08:54:15 Could not connect to bbd@{IP address}:1984 -
> Connection refused

Notice bb isn't managing to connect to port 1984 on the IP address.

> If the data is moved via telnet, I have a problem.

It's not.

> My company requires
> that I turn off telnet on all Solaris 10 boxes.

IMHO it shouldn't be enabled by default ...

> Any ideas?

If you are trying to run with the pulldata method, is msgcache running on the
client? It listens on port 1984 ...

Regards,
Buchan