Purple Problems

Tim Grzechowski tim.grzechowski.osv at fedex.com
Wed Dec 31 18:55:19 CET 2008

Something on the network blew up, router or switch.  Of course hobbit went
purple.  It was a Thursday afternoon and it was in the Network Gods hands at
this point.  They fixed it that night I had still had the purple condition
in the morning.  I checked both the server and clients (~100) and everything
was running.  I restarted both anyway and waited.  Went home for the
weekend.  Came in Monday and still had the purple plague.

Did some reading, found this scrip in one of the hobbit mailing list and ran
it.

/usr/lib/hobbit/server

     # !/usr/bin/ksh

     HBBB="/usr/lib/hobbit/server/bin/bb --debug"

     ${HBBB}  127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard color=purple fields=hostname,testname"

     while read L; do

           HOST=`echo $L | cut -d'|' -f1`

           TEST=`echo $L | cut -d'|' -f2`

           ${HBBB} 127.0.0.1 "drop $HOST $TEST"

     done

     bash-3.00$

Purple condition is gone.  But so are many of my monitoring tasks such as
CPU, processes, file system status, and more.  None of them are working sans
"conn', 'info', and 'trends.'  Even after several days.

What do I need to do to hobbit and/or the client to have these monitored
again?

THANK YOU!
/tg