rrd graphing questions - how to ignore items?

Brand, Thomas R. TRBrand at cvs.com
Fri Dec 12 19:43:29 CET 2008

Hi all,

  I have set up a 'mysql' status check as an external script:
~hobbit/client/ext/bb-mysqlstatus.sh

It sends up several informational lines (see below), only some of which
I want to graph.

I only want to graph "Threads", "Slow queries", and "Open Tables".

If I only send up the 3 lines I want to graph, everything works as
desired.  However, if I add more lines, the graph stops working.  I'm
guessing that I need to add something somewhere to tell RRD to ignore
the lines I don't want to graph... but where/how?

mysqlstatus.sh sends the following (and shows on the 'mysql' column
page):

	Uptime             : 2
	Threads            : 4
	Questions          : 6
	Slow queries       : 9
	Opens              : 2
	Flush tables       : 6
	Open tables        : 9
	Queries/second avg : 8

I modified hobbitserver.cfg and

added "mySQL=ncv" to the end of the
TEST2RRD="cpu=la,...,lines,mysql=ncv"

added the line:
NCV_mysql="Threads:GAUGE,Slowqueries:GAUGE,Opentables:GAUGE"

I also added the following to hobbitgraph.cfg

[mysql]
   TITLE MySQL Statistics
   YAXIS Number of
   DEF:threads=mysql.rrd:Threads:AVERAGE
   DEF:slow=mysql.rrd:Slowqueries:AVERAGE
   DEF:opentables=mysql.rrd:Opentables:AVERAGE
   LINE2:threads#FF0000:Threads
   LINE2:slow#00CCCC:Slow Queries
   LINE2:opentables#FF00FF:Opentables
   COMMENT:\n
   GPRINT:threads:LAST:Threads     \: %5.1lf (cur)
   GPRINT:threads:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
   GPRINT:threads:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
   GPRINT:threads:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
   GPRINT:slow:LAST:SlowQueries \: %5.1lf (cur)
   GPRINT:slow:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
   GPRINT:slow:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
   GPRINT:slow:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
   GPRINT:opentables:LAST:OpenTables  \: %5.1lf (cur)
   GPRINT:opentables:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
   GPRINT:opentables:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
   GPRINT:opentables:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

Googling around didn't produce any useful results; can someone shed some
light?

Thanks
Tom

Tom Brand
CVS/pharmacy
IS Rx SysAdmin Store Support

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY Information contained in this electronic
message and any attachments to this message are intended for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all copies of this message and any attachments and advise sender
(TRBrand at cvs.com)