[hobbit] timed alerts

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 02:05:00 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Torsten Richter <bb4 at richter-it.net> wrote:

> Hi Henrik,
>
> thanks for the answers.
>
> Henrik Størner wrote:
> > In <49403EA2.7090906 at richter-it.net> Torsten Richter <bb4 at richter-it.net>
> writes:
> >
> >> is it possible with Hobbit 4.2.0 to time alerts?
> >> I was asked this by colleagues. They want something that
> >> if a yellow alert is displayed for more than a configurable
> >> time that Hobbit/XYmon sets the state of this alert to red.
> >
> > Not possible today. It has not come up until now, but it's
> > an interesting idea.
>
> It was just a thought since Hobbit/XYmon is recording everything
> with a timestamp and this timestamp "just" needs to be evaluated.
>
> > I guess some people would also like a status to go blue if
> > it's been red for more than a day :-)
>
> Please don't say that as it might be possible that my colleagues
> are reading this mailing list too and then they are going to tease
> me about integrating this kind of stuff :-/

Actually, it's not hard to make something go blue after a certain length of
time - I have that set up on a machine that's pinging some F5 BigIP  group
members.

What you do is, get the list of red things using hobbitdboard, then pipe it
into a loop that checks the date/time.  If it's greater than your designated
max, send a "disable until OK" message.

I'd post a copy of my script, except that the company laid me off at the
beginning of last week, and I didn't think to keep a copy at home...  If
anyone's interested I can recreate it from scratch...

Ralph Mitchell