[hobbit] Comma-separated lists of hostnames, etc. in hobbit-alerts.cfg is not documented

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 20:20:56 CET 2008

Buchan Milne <mailto:bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2008 17:43:54 T.J. Yang wrote:
>> Hi, SebA
>>
>> Would mind go one step further ?
>> get  a hobbit developer account  from Henrik to update the manpages ?
>

> In other projects I am familiar with, initial contributions start
> with patches filed on a tracker. Commit access is *not* necessary for
> contribution, but an RCS (which we now have) and interaction with
> people who do have commit access is.
>
> (I haven't asked for commit access as I think my own contributions
> would need to follow such a path).
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

While I'm flattered by your suggestion TJ, I do agree with Buchan.
Especially as I have no proven ability to patch man pages. In fact, I don't
know what the syntax is for them, and while I'm sure I could learn pretty
easily, I'm really too busy in my work to justify this right now. And,
anyway, I was trying to encourage someone who had or knew some more complex
examples to submit them first.

And, on that subject, I was _going_ to ask if it was possible to do this:
HOST=myHost
     MAIL myEmail SERVICE=procs,smtp ...
Since that isn't documented either: all the examples have SERVICE on the
same line as HOST. Well, I decided I'd test it myself with:
$ ./bin/bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test
And the answer is yes so long as you put the SERVICE= after the MAIL
command.

(If the SERVICE= is before the MAIL command, as in:
HOST=myHost
     SERVICE=procs,smtp MAIL myEmail ...
then it is as if you had:
HOST=myHost # Becomes irrelevant as the parser reckons the next line is
another completely separate rule.
SERVICE=procs,smtp
     MAIL myEmail ...
Which is unlikely to be what you intended.)

Maybe we have now covered all the examples needed though?

Kind regards,

SebA