[hobbit] Graph multiple unknown named RRD values in one graph

Charles Jones charles.r.jones at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:13:33 CEST 2008

I am really rusty on dealing with NCV stuff..I know there is a way to do
what you want, but not sure offhand of the proper syntax and whatnot.

As you suspect, look at the disk definition in hobbitgraph.cfg. Note that it
is basically using variables for the DEF, LINE2, and GPRINT options. There
is also the use of a wildcard in the rrd name definition, which comes in
handy if there are multiple rrd files you are dealing with, in which case
you would use:
FNPATTERN (.*).web

However, from your description it sounds like you probably have a single rrd
file that has multiple DS entries in it, which I have never dealt with.

Looking at the [vmstat] definition, I can see an example of pulling multiple
values from a single rrd file, but you want to do it dynamically, using a
variable for the DS instead of static definitions...hmm

I just had a look at some of the source code (hobbitgraph.c), and so far it
looks to me like that feature is just not implemented. :(

Unless Henrik or someone can reveal the way to do it, it sounds like you are
stuck with defining static DS names. Have a look at the [vmstat] definition
in hobbitgraph.cfg, which should give you a good idea of how to build your
own [jvm] graph definition, by using multiple DEF entries which specific the
explicit DS names, example:
DEF:jvm_mn17=jvm.rrd:jvm_mn17:AVERAGE
DEF:jvm_mn18=jvm.rrd:jvm_mn18:AVERAGE
DEF:jvm_mn19=jvm.rrd:jvm_mn19:AVERAGE

P.S.  The man page for "rrdcreate" gives some great insight into the
structure and use of rrd files.
P.S.S. You could also consider using something external like Cacti to create
and display those particular graphs.

-Charles