[hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen

Sebastian spa at syntec.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 18:53:52 CEST 2008

s_aiello at comcast.net <mailto:s_aiello at comcast.net> wrote:
> The group I work with have pretty much always used the same name for
> monitoring, regardless of the monitoring engine being used.
> Of course we have
> only used BigBrother and now Hobbit. But I figured I would
> share, that our
> monitoring is called 'watcher'. Sweet and simple.  I even
> created s simple
> little logo that appears at the bottom of the web pages, an
> eye. The color of
> the iris changes to whatever the color of the web page. The
> eye seemed to fit
> well with the Watcher name & the hobbit name ;)
>
> I think I mentioned the eye logo to Henrik a while back, if
> he wanted it. Same
> goes for ya'll. It isn't fantastic but looks good ( at least
> in my opinion ).
> I attached a quick contact sheet of the eyes if you are curious.
>
> So my 2 cents, do with it what ya will,
>  ~Steve

We don't have any PHBs here, but there were still some funny looks at the
Hobbit name originally so I can easily see why some people come up against a
lot of resistance to Hobbit due to its name. Of course, Hobbit was accepted
here (partly as we were using Big Brother).  I think Hobbitmon is acceptable
due to the fact that it's an easy change and almost all the appropriate
Google results show up fine using that query already. However, setting up a
custom Google search engine is possible if we change the name more
radically, so I'd like to suggest the name 'WatcherSys', inspired by this
post by Steve.  'Watcher' doesn't work because it returns millions of Google
results, as do minor variations like 'the-watcher'. 'SysWatcher' is taken on
.com and there are a few hundred results on Google, but perhaps still a
possibility. 'WatcherSys' returns zero results and is not taken on .com,
.org or .net. As it is a combination of words (sort of), it's unlikely to
translate to anything, plus it has no negative connotations and does what it
says on the tin (1). It can be still be shortened to 'Watcher' when talking
about in speech: "How's [the] Watcher doing?" (And, of course, there is the
'Watcher in the Water' link for all you LotR fans! ;) (2))

Regards,

SebA

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_exactly_what_it_says_on_the_tin
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_in_the_Water