Don't make the pie higher! (was: RE: [hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen)

Hobbit User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 4 16:22:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, August 4, 2008 09:00, Galen Johnson wrote:
> After reading the letters, it looked to me that as soon as they found out
> they couldn't pin anyone down to get a slice of the ephemeral pie, they
> decided that the name should be changed.

Well, as a PHB who's also a Linux lead, the way I read the letters is that
as soon as they found out they couldn't pin anyone down to commit to not
selling  slices of their client's pie and not giving any more of it away
than was already the case, they wanted a name change.  I thought the
attitude was quite refreshing after seeing decades worth of threatening
cease-and-desist letters.

I presume that's because of instruction from the client, not because of
the benevolent character of the law firm.