[hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change will happen

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Sat Aug 2 03:03:09 CEST 2008

Hi all

Corporations spend millions of dollars every year, just researching
product and brand names.
The process of coming up with a name is huge business, and can make or
break a product.

Can anybody remember the Chev Nova?
Great name. Nova - star explosion!
Wow! What an impact!
It actually sold well, but when Chev introduced it into Argentina, where
the speak Spanish, they had to rename it.
For the non-Spanish speakers out there, "No va" means "Doesn't go".
(I think it sold under the name "Malibu" or something like that.)

Beside the fact that it was a crap product, who can guess how many
Microsoft Zunes sold in Israel?
The word Zune, in Hebrew, means, erm, how shall I put this.... A vulgar
term for fornicate.
Guess how many of them sold there.

Mitsubish Pajero?
In Spanish, Pajero means, erm.... , man gratifying himself sexually.
That should get major corporate acceptance. :-)
(It was renamed to Montero (mountain hunter) in Spanish speaking
countries)

I am not suggesting we spend millions on branding, we don't have
millions, but we need to consider many aspects of a name.
Some of the things to think about
- Corporate acceptance
- Associated meanings
- Meaning in different languages
- Meaning of minor spelling changes
- Legal and copyright issues
- Domain availability
I am sure there are more issues, but it's early on a Saturday morning,
and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Cheers
    Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.