[hobbit] "Hobbit" name legal stuff; slight name change willhappen

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:36:02 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Everett, Vernon
<Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> If I could add my 0.02 worth of local currency, how about a complete break
> from Hobbit and/or fantasy creatures.
>
> As a consultant, Hobbit is one of the products I always try and push with
> clients.
> I do the install, provide support and write additional monitoring scripts
> where they are required.
>
> However, one issue I have encountered, is the difficulty I have in getting
> CIOs and other senior members of management to take a product called Hobbit
> seriously.
> "What's in a name?" you say, and I agree with you, but we are talking PHBs

I bet when they don't laugh when the name of an OS is called "windows". But if
another OS comes as "Doors" they will laugh, I bet. Do you still value
their opinion?

That would be the "worst" reason to change a name in my opinion

> here.
> For some reason, Patrol, Nagios, MSM, Zenoss, and all the other names appear
> to "inspire confidence".
> Hobbit? Some people just refuse to take it seriously.
> Maybe they associate Hobbits with childrens fantasy, I don't know, but I
> have had push-back from at least 2 major clients based purely on the name.
> I am talking about 2 corporate clients that had no monitoring, and wanted to
> look at monitoring products, but refused to look at Hobbit because of the
> name.

Well they should not use Hobbit then. Better that way I think

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu