[hobbit] Invalid DS name

John Glowacki jg2727 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:34:00 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 01:25:50PM -0400, John Glowacki wrote:
>  > I am getting the following "Invalid DS name" error in rrd-status.log
>  > while testing what I can do with hobbit_snmpcollect running 20080405
>  > snapshot. Do I have a configuration issue or is this a code issue? I
>  > just had a thought. Is it the quotes need to be stripped out or
>  > converted?
>
>  The quotes look odd, but that is not the "Invalid DS name" problem.
>  This is caused by your dataset names being excessively long. E.g. you
>  have a "dfPerCentKBytesCapacity" dataset - this is 24 letters, but
>  RRDtool limits names to 19 characters.
>

>  > ["/vol/testvol/"]
>  >       dfIndex = 17
>  >       dfMountedOn = "/vol/testvol/"
>
>  Yikes ... the MIB probably has this defined as an "octet string", so
>  why bother quoting it ?
>

>  Henrik

Thanks Henrik,

I used a shorter name. It now creates the rrd files with the quotes.
I'm not thrilled about the quotes, but it is working.
-rw-r--r--   1 bb users 190408 Apr 22 10:19 netappvolume.",vol,testvol,".rrd
-rw-r--r--   1 bb users 190408 Apr 22 10:14
netappvolume.",vol,testvol,.snapshot".rrd

In hobbitgraph.cfg I was able to exclude the quotes from displaying in
the graphs. It looks much better that way.
[netappvolume]
        FNPATTERN ^netappvolume.\"(.*)\".rrd

Yes, looking at the mib it's a DisplayString/octet string. I have not
found an explanation for the quoting.
        DfEntry ::=
            SEQUENCE {
                dfIndex
                    INTEGER,
                dfFileSys
                    DisplayString,

Some of the volume names are ending in "/..". I asked one of a our
storage guys to look at it. I am starting to think it might have to do
with an option on the snapshot volumes.
["/vol/pcluns/.."]
	dfIndex = 14
	dfMountedOn = "/vol/pcluns/.."