[Devmon] [hobbit] Devmon device support, Cross post between lists

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Apr 22 10:09:07 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 17:47:21 Robert Holden wrote:
> I have noticed quite a bit of (unnecessary) redundancy when it comes to the
> cisco templates.

Why do you think it is specific to cisco templates? E.g., the if_load template
works just as well with any device that supports the RFC-standard IFMIB (e.g.
the linux-openwrt template has the if_load test taken almost directly from a
cisco device). The only differences are really how devices are named, and
thus maybe default device patterns that should be ignored.

> I have been able to reduce nearly all the cisco devices
> down to two templates:  cisco-switch and cisco-common
> I still have a few minor issues to deal with, but should have something to
> post to the group in about a weeks time.  The biggest of these issues is
> finding something in the specs "model" that is common to the cisco-switch
> (2811, 4003, 5500, & 6506), that is not found in all the other devices.
> Simularily, I would like to find something in the specs "model" that is
> common to all other cisco devices (cisco-common).
>
> note: Many switches are still able to use cisco-common (2900, 3500, 3550,
> etc), so I probably have to come up with a better name for cisco-switch.

Well, the issue is that you shouldn't really distinguish features on a device
based on the hardware model in the first place.

If we stick to the Cisco topic, is a 6500 a switch? Is a 7600 a router? What
if I put a better supervisor in the 6500 ? If I put a CSM blade into a 6500,
or into a 7600, is one a load balancer and the other not?

Moving on, if I run a RADIUS server (which supports the RADIUS MIB) on a HP
ProLiant, is a Dell PowerEdge *not* a RADIUS server?

So, yes, I think we need a new approach to:
1)Which tests are done on a specific device
2)Which tests are done by default on a device of a specific kind of hardware

> I will see what I can find on your subinterfaces issue.

IMHO, if the device lies over SNMP, you should report it to the vendor, rather
than workaround the problem in an SNMP manager.

> I am also working on an idea (change to devmon) to allow for "default"
> templates depending on vendor.

I would prefer that you discuss any design issues on the development list ...