[hobbit] sms alert sample script - good solution?

Oliver Grube oliver_grube at campbellsoup.com
Fri Apr 11 17:55:52 CEST 2008

Hello,

this is just my opinion and something to thought about...

I have read about SMS alerting here. I think, from a reliability point of
view, this kind of alerting, is not stable enough.
Your designs are based on sending an eMail to an SMS sending system.
A simple question: How do you get alerts for your eMail system?
We have implemented this functionality with a simple modem attached to the
Hobbit system and we dial the SMS provider directly.
I think, that this is a more reliable solution, if you want to do SMS
Alerting.

Another option is to give the important guys Blackberry or similar devices
and let them read the alert via eMail.
Advantage: they can access internal hobbit systems directly and confirm
alerts...

As I said... just some thoughts...

mit freundlichen Grüßen - Best regards
Hälsningar - Met vriendelijke groeten
Sincères salutations

Oliver Grube
EU Security&Controls Manager

             "Benjamin P.
             August"
             <baugust at stanford                                          To
             .edu>                     hobbit at hswn.dk
                                                                        cc
             2008-04-11 17:44
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [hobbit] sms alert sample
             Please respond to         script
              hobbit at hswn.dk

Yes, that's what we did.

----from hobbit-alerts.cfg----
$SUPPSMS=SCRIPT /u01/webapps/hobbit/server/ext/smsplus.sh
[comma-separated list of SMS email addresses] DURATION>6 REPEAT=120
RECOVERED
----

--
--Ben
Benjamin P. August

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Campbell’s Germany GmbH
Registergericht Luebeck • Reg. Nr. HRB 4082
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Joseph B. Folds III

Geschaeftssitz:
Geniner Strasse 88 - 100
23560   Luebeck
Deutschland

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for use by
the individual to whom it is addressed.  If you received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, do not
disclose its contents to others and delete it from your
system.