[hobbit] Advice on how to handle HA monitoring

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Sep 26 19:36:43 CEST 2007

Buchan Milne wrote:

> What I do is to do all the infrastructure tests on both nodes, the procs
> checks check only for the cluster intrastructure (besides local processes
> like say syslog), then a check using the cluster software on both nodes, and
> finally monitor the network services (and only them) on the clustered
> service's IP.

How are you monitoring only those, I assuming using the nodisk, noconn,
etc tags?
> And, there are a few reasons I avoid installing software on the SAN, this is
> one of them ... (the other is that if you screw up upgrading your clustered
> software, you have an outage, whereas if it's installed locally on each box,
> you could just fail back ... or in most cases the cluster middleware would
> have done it already).

I'm in total agreement about the SAN issue. Sadly in my case, it is not
my choice. At least I have found that for the most part, Hobbit
gracefully handles using a shared homedir, as it adds the hostname to
the filename of the various files the clients generate.

-Charles