[hobbit] Questions about hobbitd_rrd

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:44:13 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, Jason Chambers <Jason.Chambers at geosoft.com> wrote:

>  I'm just looking at the NCV_ stuff with the hobbit_rrd, and have some
> questions about it (for my first time setup)
>

> I was wondering how it would handle letters in the data stream, such as:
>

> Total: 3520W
>
> Reserved: 1223W
>
> Used: 1223W
>
> Remaining: 2297W
>

> And also, spaces in the data, such as:
>

> +5 Volts: +4.81 Volts
>

> With this look like NCV_bladecentervolts="+5 Volts:GAUGE" ?

According to the help page (Hobbit menu -> Help -> Custom Graphs):

       note that Hobbit strips off any part of the name that is not a letter
or a number;

I don't know how it would handle your "+5 Volts", but it does strip spaces
from everything before the colon to get the label, so

   The CPU Temp: 45C

would result in an RRD variable called "TheCPUTemp".

There's an alternative way of doing this, which give you more control.  Take
a look at the hobbitd_rrd manual page (Hobbit Menu -> Help -> Manual Pages
-> hobbitd_rrd.  You can specify a script that processes the message to
generate the RRD definitions and the data values to store.  This allows you
much more flexibility when extracting the data from the message.

Ralph Mitchell