[hobbit] Services

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Wed Sep 12 15:27:47 CEST 2007

I don't think it works that way...

If you want a status dot for each of these services, then you have to
write a custom test -- either on the client or on the server.  I don't
think the standard network tests include the ability to test arbitrary
ports and give them status pages.  To do this right, some sort of
"expected" response is needed, and error conditions must be handled.

If you only want an assurance that the hosts have something camped on
these ports, then use the PORT facility to define the tests.  Then the
"ports" test will give you a status dot for the combined test results.
Of course, this does not prove that the service is working, just that
something has that port allocated as far as netstat is concerned.

Look in hobbit-clients.cfg in ~server/etc and check out the description
of the PORT command.  It can do more than just "present/not present".

GLH