[hobbit] Hobbit - server timeout message

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Sun Sep 9 17:43:01 CEST 2007

Rajashekar G wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My new role is to monitor hobbit for alerts.
>
> Since two days, red alerts shown by hobbit consistently for 2 to 3
> minutes and recovers automatically.
>
> In log the following message is displayed,
>
> Application URL - server timeout
>
> We can ping the servers and there is no problem with servers or bussiness.
>
> what does " server timeout " mean? How to minimize it? How critical is it?

1. It means the monitor timed out before recieving a response to your
connection attempt. I believe the default for hobbit is 10 seconds; if
you had not changed this it took more than 10 seconds for hobbit to
receive a reply

2. how to minimize it? Fix the application ;). Seriously though, in my
(albeit anecdotal) experience I have found that this is ususally the app
takes too long for the database connection.

3. Only you, as the administrator, can decide if 10 seconds is too long
for your application to respond. However, this will depend on the SLA's
(if any) you have in place

So with all of this in mind, there are various tools at your disposal.
You can up the timeout value using the --timeout parameter

to the bbtest-net command in hobbitserver.cfg (see http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2006/08/msg00814.html) or you can use badTEST
varaible in bb-hosts (man bb-hosts)

The choice is yours

Cheers