[hobbit] monitoring xen machine status from Dom0

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Tue Sep 4 16:09:58 CEST 2007

Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> T.J. Yang wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone started thinking about or working on script(s) to monitor
>>> xen machines from the Dom0?  It would be nice to have some of the
>>> data that xentop and other tools display in Hobbit and I would rather
>>> work with others on this list to develop the scripts rather than do
>>> everything on my own, if possible.

> I thought it would be useful to have additional data about the impact of
> those virtual machines on the server that is hosting them, and one easy
> way to gather that data would be add a client side ext script that would
> run the xentop command in a batch mode, then send it over to the hobbit
> server for processing by the NCV module or just as a status report.

Here's a cheap first run of a client side ext script that will send
xentop data to your Hobbit server.  It doesn't act on any of the data
and cause alerts, but we plan to add that later on unless someone else
beats us to it.

Run it as a Hobbit client ext script on your Dom0 (not on the Hobbit
client running on the DomUs) and give the Hobbit user sudo access to
xentop, and xentop data will be displayed under the "xen" column in
Hobbit.  If anyone makes enhancements to it, please share them.
--
Tom Georgoulias
Sr. Systems Engineer
tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com