[hobbit] Issue with bbproxy

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 30 22:51:22 CET 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 01:55:19PM -0500, Aaron Kincaid wrote:
> Having an issue with bbproxy.  I have a main hobbit box 192.168.213.5
> and a secondary box that currently has 192.168.213.4 (it will be moved
> offsite after testing and setup is completed)  I want .4 to forward all
> info to .5, but 4 does not need to display anything locally.
>
> On .4 I have tried various things with no apparent progress.  In
> hobbitlaunch.cfg I disabled hobbitd as instructed and set [bbproxy] up
> as follows
>
> [bbproxy]
>
>         ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
>
>         CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd --bbdisplay=192.168.213.5
> --report=$MACHINE.bbproxy --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.pid

So far it looks correct.

> On the main server .5, I get the following messages under hobbit process
>
> Hostname 'apollo.tfc.com' in tree, but no host-info
> Hostname 'bomgar' in tree, but no host-info

These are messages from hobbitd meaning that it does know there is a
host called "bomgar", but it cannot find any data about it from the
entry in the bb-hosts file. This shouldn't really be possible to
trigger. So how did you do it - what does your "bomgar" entry in
bb-hosts look like ?

Also, if you force a reload of the bb-hosts file ("kill -HUP
<hobbitd-PID>"), do these messages go away ?

> Do I need to do something on .5?  I tried adding 'apollo.tfc.com' and
> 'bomgar' to the bbhosts file on .5 but that appears to have produced
> resulted in .5 simply checking the hosts out for itself instead of using
> .4's results.

You do need the hosts in the bb-hosts file (if not there, they won't
show up on the web pages). To avoid doing the network tests, just put a
"noconn" on the entries.

> 1) How to I display the result from .4 on .5?
>
> 2) Where will the info appear?  On the bb.html page or can I make it
> appear in one of my existing PAGE groups?

Put these hosts in the bb-hosts file, and handle them - display-wise -
like any other host.

> 3) In the future can I use --bbdisplay=192.168.213.5 to use the FQDN for
> when I finally deploy it?

No, the --bbdisplay argument must be an IP-address. Shouldn't be
difficult to script it if you need to use the DNS name, though.