[hobbit] Fail over?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 23 22:02:34 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:18:16PM -0400, Stewart L wrote:
> So, how are others doing this?  I have a server set up here in my
> primary data center.  We're monitoring a few thousand hosts right now
> with a large number of custom externals.
>
> I've been tasked with setting up a fail-over or disaster response
> server in case our primary data center has issues.  All of our clients
> are currently configured to send their messages to the IP address of
> our primary server.
>
> Now, I could just copy the bb-hosts file to the DR site, but then I
> would only get the network tests since the clients all report to the
> primary.

I run two completely separate systems in parallel, and have the clients
report to both of them. The system at our disaster center has the paging
module disabled (just disable the [bbpage] section in hobbitlaunch.cfg),
to avoid double alerts - it is simple to activate it, if necessary.

Config files are rsync'ed from the primary site to the disaster site
regularly.