[hobbit] Project Status

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Wed Oct 10 00:56:57 CEST 2007

The mailing list is very active.  From what I've seen over the past few
weeks of listening in, there is a very competent bunch of people.  Support
won't be immediate, but it will get you there.

I switched from the free version of Big Brother (which is not for corporate
use, legally) to Hobbit no more then a week ago.  I have been extremely
pleased at the simplicity of the install and abundance of features and
upgrades.  I too am using 4.2.0.  Right out of the box I did a quick
install, duplicated my ~150 host bb-hosts file, added the testip argument
and I was up and running within the majority of my morning.

Depending on your host type you will find the enable/disable feature to be a
complete blessing.  I most certainly have - some clients love to unplug
their network equipment!

There is absolutely no excuse to not move from BB1.9 to Hobbit 4.2.  None.

On 10/9/07, Alan Sparks <asparks at doublesparks.net> wrote:

> Chris Strzelczyk wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is Chris.  I manage around 50 clients for my company which are
> > being monitored by the free version of Big Brother currently.  I would
> > like to move my monitoring over to the GPL Hobbit version.  Before I
> > do so, I wanted to obtain a status of the release.  I noticed that CVS
> > has been inactive on sourceforge lately.  Is this project currently
> > being developed?  Is there a release plan anywhere on the site?
>
> Don't know if you received an answer to your question, but yes, Hobbit
> is an active project.  The mailing list is active, and the tool is very
> much alive, used, and supported.  It monitors 2000+ hosts at my business.
> It may not look active from a release standpoint, but there is a planned
> 4.3 release soon.  But 4.2 is a solid thing.
> -Alan
>
> --
> Alan Sparks, UNIX/Linux Systems Integration and Administration
> <asparks at doublesparks.net>

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343