Creating hosts to monitor, do not resolve hostname

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Thu Oct 4 05:27:21 CEST 2007

I have been using BB 1.9 for a long time and finally found myself the time
to migrate to Hobbitmon.  I am very impressed and pleased with the superior
application and documentation!

The upgrade document (
http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/bb-to-hobbit.html ) was very useful,
the impression I got was that bb-hosts operated the exact same way.

While I have found it is close to identical - something that my BB did not
do was resolve hostnames and monitor those addresses resolved.  I was always
able to monitor the IP address and the hostname acted as a host identifier,
nothing more.  I have a lot of "fake" hostnames that are catching wildcards
on domains that are resolving to undesired IP addresses.

I think that this would be a beneficial feature for me in several cases as
some monitored hosts do have their IP change from time to time, though I
have an SH script that updates bb-hosts for me.  Having said that, I would
like to keep this feature enabled.

What would be the best course of action for me to fix my problem here?  Is
there a tag that I can add to the hosts I don't want to be resolved by
chance?  Is there anything I can do outside of adding a hostname record for
every single monitored host?

Thanks in advance and my thanks out to the Hobbitmon support and development
team!

--- Henry Spencer