New feature ?

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Wed Nov 28 07:01:44 CET 2007

Hi Henrik

I would like to propose a possible new feature.
In the hobbit-clients.cfg on the server, we can specify default
threshholds for most things, but the selection is based on hostname.

Is there a way to specify the machine architecture as an identifier.
(uname -n

To give an example, I run a mixed bag of Sun T2000, V440, V490, and
X4?00 servers.
Because of what we are running on each server type, we find a large run
queue on the T2000 is quite normal, but on one of the others, we expect
a very small run queue.
Instead of defining runqueue threshhold per host name, it would be nice
to have a ARCH option which could be overridden by the HOST

So we could define

ARCH=x86_64			# Linux
	LOAD 5.0 10

ARCH=i86pc			# Solaris on x86
	LOAD 6  12

ARCH=SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise   # A solaris 10 zone
	LOAD 8	   12

ARCH=SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490	 # A Sun V490
	LOAD 6   9

ARCH=SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200	# A T2000 reports as T200 - don't ask!
	LOAD 15   25

However, if further down the list we had a HOST server01 we could
redefine the LOAD, despite it being a T2000.

HOST=server01
	LOAD 10    15

The utility of this would mean I don't have to define every host
inividually, but
Of course, we could also use the same definitions for OS as returned by
uname -s
SunOS, Linux etc. (I see you use this in the client scripts)
It would be nice to have that flexibility in the configs.

Regards
     Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.