[hobbit] single alert for a host going puprle

Frédéric Mangeant frederic.mangeant at steria.com
Tue Nov 13 17:29:52 CET 2007

Josh Luthman a écrit :
> Let me understand your situation.  You have one host, IE:
>
> 1.2.3.4 <http://1.2.3.4> mybroken.host.com <http://mybroken.host.com>
> # ssh dns pop3 smtp http://mybrokenhost.com <http://mybrokenhost.com>
>
> Now after some time you have ssh and dns going down, but the box is
> still green on conn/ping?  Logically, there are two problems - bad
> bind and bad opensshd, so two alerts is a wise choice.
>
> If you are saying with the example above that every test goes down
> because it is offline, in my case at least, it only gives me one alert
> - bad conn, the rest are tagged with "depend" essentially and don't
> alert you.  Is this not the case for you?

Hi

there are various situations where a host responds to ping but does not
send any status to hobbitd :
- firewall rule modified, so no connection from a server to the hobbitd
daemon allowed
- Hobbit client not run automatically after system restart
- Hobbit client stopped, hung, etc.

--

Frédéric Mangeant

Steria EDC Sophia Antipolis