[hobbit] strange result in fping by hobbit and fping by yours truly

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Fri Nov 2 15:20:58 CET 2007

DNS?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Ortsen [mailto:dortsen at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 7:47 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: [hobbit] strange result in fping by hobbit and fping by yours
truly

Hi everyone,

I've got a somewhat strange issue with fping in hobbit.

I've got a list of about 122 terminals that are used for a chipcard
payment system. Each one of them has an ip-address and connects to a
server to process the payments. Every now and then the terminals loose
the connection or whatever, they need to be reset before they can
process the payments again on the server. I thought I might use Hobbit
to ping all the terminals to see if they still respond to a ping. If
they don't reply anymore, they need a reset.

I only do a conn test on an ip-address. I use the full path to fping in
hobbitserver.cfg, without any extra parameters. When hobbit starts
testing the connection, only 14 terminals respond to a ping, but when I
execute a fping myself (as the hobbit user) in a shell to the same
amount of terminals, I get a totally different result, instead of 14
responding terminals, I get 95 responding terminals with fping! It's not
just a lucky shot, I can keep on trying these terminals, the huge
difference remains whether I fping them myself or when hobbit fpings
them.

I'm running hobbit 4.2.0. According to bbtest I have 806 hosts that are
pinged, that takes about 26 seconds to complete. To complete all tests
(954), it takes about 47 seconds.

Does anyone have a clue why specifically these terminals have such a
difference in hobbit ping and a ping performed by myself?

I can't explain it, and it doesn't seem like a timeout (latency) issue
to me either.

Thanks in advance,

Br.

Dennis