[hobbit] Re: New to Hobbit --- file monitoring

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Thu Nov 1 22:18:52 CET 2007

Here is something I use that works.  This is a "bookend" problem -- both
parts have to be done correctly.  Hobbit tends to silently ignore errors
in configuration files.

In client-local.cfg

[myserver.mydomain.com]
file:/opt2/log/syslog.log
file:/opt2/log/security.log
file:/opt2/log/snmptrap.log

in hobbit-clients.cfg

HOST=myserver.mydomain.com
        FILE /opt2/log/syslog.log mtime<600 size<2G TRACK
        FILE /opt2/log/security.log TRACK
        FILE /opt2/log/snmptrap.log mtime<600 size<2G TRACK

Some things to note

a) the host names match exactly, and they are not enclosed in double
quotes.

b) the file names match exactly

c) this example is lifted from my running system, with the host name
changed to protect the guilty.  I have some other examples that use
color in the "COLOR=color" format, which I believe is required, but I
would have to edit them more before I can post them.

d) the client-local.cfg file has some predefined sections in it.  Don't
use them.  Make new ones.  Only one section can be applied to a host, so
cut and paste will
be your friend.