[hobbit] UDP Ports

Barrett, Tony tony.barrett at roke.co.uk
Fri May 4 16:49:08 CEST 2007

Morsiani, Massimo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> take a look at http://www.trantor.org/theshire/doku.php/monitors:dhcp.
> It's a custom script based on dhcping.
>

> Regards.
>
> Massimo Morsiani
> Information Technology Dept.
> ------
> Gilbarco S.p.a.
> via de' Cattani, 220/G
> 50145 Firenze
> tel:	+39-055-30941
> fax:	+39-055-318603
> email:	massimo.morsiani at gilbarco.com

Massimo, I found a couple of small problems with this script. First, it was developed on Solaris, and uses ptime to measure execution time. Linux doesn't have ptime, just 'time' and I'm not sure if it's giving the correct response for script post-processing. I get some strange output;

  DHCP query succeeded

no answer
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.00user 0.00system 0:10.00elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

Seconds: 0

Hobbit though, thinks the connection has been successful, even though the script returns status 1 (no answer), and shows the link as green.

Secondly, the script seems to have been developed with a single DHCP server in mind. We use split DHCP servers that each lease a different range in a global scope, which means I cannot test both DHCP servers from the same script.

--
Roke Manor Research Ltd, Romsey,
Hampshire, SO51 0ZN, United Kingdom

A Siemens company
Registered in England & Wales at:
Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell
Berks RG12 8FZ. Number 267550
Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
proprietary to Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any
third party without permission. This communication is for information
only and shall not create or change any contractual relationship.