[hobbit] Hobbit Login Credentials

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Sun Mar 18 18:50:45 CET 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007, Ellison, Gary wrote:
> I will be in front of the machine sometime this week so I may be
> surprised to find it logged in where I will have cmd line
> access...taking a shot in the dark here but what would be the default
> credentials after a virgin install? Maybe they never got around to
> changing it. Thanks.
If you can get in front of the machine, you can try to reboot the machine.  It
is possible that you will be presented with a boot menu where you can select
rescue mode.  And it is possible that you will get a root prompt without a
password.  passwd can be used to change the pasword.
An other trick is to interrupt the boot process and change the kernel boot
parameters and load /bin/sh as init process.  This will give you a root
prompt without a password.

IF you can get physical access to a machine and know how it works, you can
change the password of any OS user.

Stef