[hobbit] What is the word on the "depends" tag?

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:44:35 CET 2007

What is the word on the "depends" tag?  Does it work or not?  It seems there
are a number of posts that seem to suggest it doesn't work properly.

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is set up a dependency for a website
content check so that if the physical machine that it runs on is down for
maintenance, the website content check won't go red.  When we schedule
maintenance for a machine, we generally disable the tests for that machine
in Hobbit so we don't get unnecessarily paged.  What I'd like to have happen
is if I disable the tests for "webserver", then the "web-test" content check
will also be disabled (or at least not page).  An example of what I'm trying
to set up is below:

1.2.3.4 webserver
0.0.0.0 web-test # cont=<blah> depends=(cont:webserver/conn)

My question is, first, will the use of the "depends" tag as I have above
accomplish what I want?  And second, does the "depends" tag actually work,
or should I try using some other dependency-type tag in Hobbit?