[hobbit] Server-side extension scripts: shell vs. C programming

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:55:33 CEST 2007

>  Are you familiar with C programming at all?  Your question "...is the
> hobbitd_sample.c something that I should look at for this?" almost sounds
> like you may not be.  You could be for a long haul if your intent is to
> learn a programming language while converting your existing Hobbit shell
> script into something more efficient.  It's not going to be a simple
> cut-paste-compile scenerio, that's for sure.  Pardon me if I've interpreted
> you posting incorrectly.

I was asking that to determine if is an appropriate model specifically for
an extension script.  But yes, I am familiar with C programming.

Personally, I use PERL for my Hobbit server scripts, except the ones that
> are the simplest-of-the-simple, and for those I do use just plain inefficent
> shell.  I know C as well, but find PERL to be amost as efficient for what I
> do, and a heckuva lot quicker to program in.

I am considering C mostly because I'm starting to out-grow the capabilities
of simple shell programming, rather than purely efficiency reasons.  Perl
would probably also work.